Subject: Re: Two gitweb feature requests

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 21:11:17 +0200

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, Jakub Narebski wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to have 'parent directory' link for trees ('..' link) at the top
>> of it's contents. I know it is possible to use browser history for that,
>> but it would give greater similarity with 'directory listing' mode of WWW
>> servers.
> 
> Well, a git "tree" doesn't actually _have_ a parent. It potentially has
> multiple.

I have forgot about that. Sorry for the noise, then.

[...]

> So you do need that "browser history" one way or another. Either in the
> browser (use the "back button") or by encoding the "how did we get here"
> information in the URI and the dynamically generated page content.

Or use JavaScript via <a href="javascript:history.go(-1)">..</a>
But that wouldn't help me, because when I open the link in new window (new
tab), the new window (new tab) doesn't inherit history from parent... so
browser's "back" button doesn't work. Ah, well...

> The downside is that you'd have two different web-pages for the same tree
> depending on which commit it came from. Which is not a downside from a
> user perspective, but it's a downside from a caching/server perspective,
> since it means less reuse of pages (maybe gitweb already does that,
> though).

Perhaps if "how we get there" information was encoded via POST... but I
don't know if there would be the difference in caching c.f. GET (encoding
in URI).

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland