Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Git wiki

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 08:26:52 +0200

Fredrik Kuivinen wrote:

> On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 08:56:59PM -0400, [email-masked] wrote:
>> What people who are asking for explicit rename tracking actually want
>> is automatic rename merging.  If branch A renames a file, and branch B
>> corrects a typo on a comment somewhere, they'd like the merge to
>> both patch and rename the file.  If you can do that, you have met the
>> need, even if your solution isn't the one the feature requester
>> imagined.
> 
> I don't know if you already know this, if you do it might be valuable
> for other readers.
> 
> If the rename is detected by the current rename detection code
> (git-diff-tree -M) then the merge case described above is handled
> perfectly fine by the current git. That is, the rename is followed and
> the patch fixing the typo is applied to the renamed file. This assumes
> that the default merge strategy (recursive) is used.

And if you do 'commit - rename, no changes - commit' sequence then rename
will be detected. 

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland