Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 00/20] fundamentals of merge-ort implementation

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 15:48:01 -0500

On 11/11/2020 1:35 PM, Elijah Newren wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 9:09 AM Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> For the series as a whole I'd love to see at least one test that
>> demonstrates that this code does something, if even only for a very
>> narrow case.
>>
>> There's a lot of code being moved here, and it would be nice to have
>> even a very simple test case that can check that we didn't leave any
>> important die("not implemented") calls lying around or worse accessing
>> an uninitialized pointer or something.
> 
> We absolutely left several die("not implemented") calls lying around.
> The series was long enough at 20 patches; reviewers lose steam at 10
> (at least both you and Jonathan have), so maybe I should have left
> even more in there as an attempt to split up this series more.
> 
> However, if you run the testsuite with GIT_TEST_MERGE_ALGORITHM=ort,
> then this series drops the number of failures in the testsuite from
> around 2200, down to 1500.  So, there's about 700 testcases for you.

Sorry that I'm jumping in to the series-of-series in the middle, so
I am unfamiliar with the previous progress and testing strategy. This
"number of test failures" metric is sufficient to demonstrate the
progress provided in this series. Perhaps it was even in your v1 cover
letter.

Thanks,
-Stolee