Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Git wiki

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 20:27:40 +0200

Petr Baudis wrote:

> The automatic vs. explicit movement tracking is a lot more
> controversial. Explicit movement tracking is pretty easy to provide for
> file-level movements, it's just that the user says "I _did_ move file
> A to file B" (I never got the Linus' argument that the user has no idea
> - he just _performed_ the move, also explicitly, by calling *mv).
> 
> However, I guess the explicit movement tracking completely fails if you
> go sub-file (without being extremely bothersome for the user) - you
> would have to have control over the editor and the clipboard and even
> then I'm not sure if you could reach any sensible results.

If I remember correctly there are some problems if the explicit file-level
contents movement tracking (aka. file rename tracking) is done via
equivalent of file-id, inodes, or persistent names. Although it works for
many (most?) cases.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland