Subject: Re: Feature Idea: Expanding git to support automatic Semver stamping

From: Bagas Sanjaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 13:45:12 +0700

On 23/08/21 02.28, Pavel Rogovoy wrote:
> Hi all,
> 
> My name is Pavel Rogovoy and I am a git enthusiast. I have developed a
> git-based generic version stamping system that is compliant with the
> Semver standard and I believe it can be integrated into git as a
> sub-command such as git stamp in the form of an external plugin or a
> complete rewrite into git’s source code.
> 

I like the idea of automatic semver tagging, especially on case when 
developers do releases quickly (with manual tagging, they must know last 
tag version in order for the new tag version to be correctly greater 
than previous).

> I welcome you to take a look at the stamping utility:
> https://github.com/final-israel/vmn
> 
> I will be happy to discuss the main benefits of such a move with you.
> Here are just some:
> 
> - Effortless version management and state recovery for single or
> multiple  repositories.

If you `git checkout <something>`, you get whatever your code in 
<something>'s commit; no need for external tools.

> - Can be used as a convenient git submodule alternative.
I saw "root app" concept [1] in vmn, which is roughly superproject in 
git-submodule. But looking at resulting `vmn show`, it more like 
metadata for CI job.

When developers clone vmn-ed root app repo, they only get code for root 
app only, whereas when they clone normal git repo with submodule, they 
can initialize any submodules used and have all history of them on their 
fingers.

[1]: https://github.com/final-israel/vmn#root-apps

-- 
An old man doll... just what I always wanted! - Clara