Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 2/3] merge: replace atoi() with strtol_i() for marker size validation

From: Phillip Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2024 15:20:06 +0000

Hi Patrick and Usman

On 21/10/2024 13:20, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 18, 2024 at 01:52:59PM +0000, Usman Akinyemi via GitGitGadget wrote:
>> From: Usman Akinyemi <[email-masked]>
> These are a bit curious. As your test demonstrates, we retrieve the
> values from the "gitattributes" file. And given that the file tends to be
> checked into the repository, you can now basically break somebody elses
> commands by having an invalid value in there.
> 
> That makes me think that we likely shouldn't die here. We may print a
> warning, but other than that we should likely continue and use the
> DEFAULT_CONFLICT_MARKER_SIZE.

I think using a warning here is a good idea, we should probably fix the 
whitespace attributes to do the same. If you have

     * whitespace=indent-with-non-tab,tab-in-indent

in .gitattributes then "git diff" dies with

     fatal: cannot enforce both tab-in-indent and indent-with-non-tab

Anyway that's not really related to this series but I thought I'd add it 
as #leftoverbits for future reference.

Thanks for working on this Usman, what is queued in next looks good to me.

Best Wishes

Phillip

> Patrick