Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] tutorial: add discussion of index file, object database

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 17:27:31 +0200

J. Bruce Fields wrote:

> +With the right arguments, git diff can also show us the difference
> +between the working directory and the last commit, or between the
> +index and the last commit:
> +
> +------------------------------------------------
> +$ git diff HEAD
[...]
> +$ git diff --cached

Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Also, ":<path>" to mean the
> entry in the index is often equivalent to "git diff --cached".
> 
> IOW, these are obscure special purpose notation, and I do not
> think tutorial is a good place to cover them.

Hmm, wouldn't it be nice to have here :<path> mentioned as 
alternative/extension to --cached, and <ref>:<path> including 
HEAD:<path> as an extension of HEAD, and <path> as an extension
to not having arguments? By extension I mean adding path limiting
and some more advanced selection of things to diff.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland