Subject: Re: [RFC] gitweb wishlist and TODO list

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 21:56:34 +0200

Martin Langhoff wrote:

> On 6/21/06, Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> 
>> * Add (of course optional, like blame support) snapshot support. There are
>>   at least two different implementations. I'd prefer to do without second
>>   CGI script, but perhaps this is better from the performance point of view.
>>   gitweb-xmms2 has snapshot.cgi in Python: should it be rewritten in Perl?
> 
> I intend to post a patch that adds snapshot support in Perl, in the
> main code. Just need to make it optional ;-)

Check http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=git&m=111909432415478&w=2 for 
in the main code snapshot implementation.

http://www.liacs.nl/~sverdool/gitweb.cgi?p=gitweb.git;a=summary
http://www.liacs.nl/~sverdool/gitweb.git

Would separate snapshot CGI script make it work faster?

>> Any further ideas for other useful features?
> 
> Now what I think would rock too is something similar to gitk's "nearby
> tags" feature. When reading a commit, it lists the heads and tags that
> this commit is part of. It's very useful. Now I'll have to read up on
> how gitk does it.

If I remember correctly, it was done in the background, and it was done 
at least partially _in_ gitk (Tcl/Tk).
 
> And, as you mention in your other post, mod_perl support. And a bit of
> speed. Gitweb right now is really really slow.

Perhaps mod_cache would help. Especially if cache can be configured to 
look only at the hash part, plus formatting (normal, plain/raw, blame,
search match highlighting).

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git