Subject: Re: [RFC] gitweb wishlist and TODO list

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:30:32 +0200

Dennis Stosberg wrote:

> (2) Setting %ENV has no effect on spawned processes under mod_perl,
>     so the git commands would never find the project directories.
>     My first thought was to set $GIT_DIR on the commands' command
>     lines like in open($fh, '$GIT_DIR=blah git-rev-list ...') but it
>     would lead to an extra shell being spawned on every invocation
>     of a git command.
> 
>     So I added the possibility to set/override the path to the
>     repository with a command line parameter.  For simplicity I
>     handled that parameter in git.c.  The drawbacks are that it has
>     to be given before the command name and that it won't work when
>     commands are invoked as "git-command".

So now you have extra git redirector being spawned, instead of extra shell
being spawned. I wonder if using 'env' wouldn't be simplier, and how
portable 'env' is.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git