Subject: Re: [PATCH] [RFC] Introduce Git.pm

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 10:07:58 +0200

Petr Baudis wrote:

> Most desirable now is proper error reporting, generic_in() for feeding
> input to Git commands and the repository() constructor doing some poking
> with git-rev-parse to get the git directory and subdirectory prefix.
> Those three are basically the prerequisities for converting git-mv.

I think that repository() constructor (to be converted in the 'new'
constructor I guess) should take 'binbin => "/usr/bin"' argument
optionally, to find where git binary is. 'libexecdir' can be also
supported, or one can get it from 'git --exec-path' and save.
 
> Currently Git.pm just wraps up exec()s of Git commands, but even that
> is not trivial to get right and various Git perl scripts do it in
> various inconsistent ways.

It would be nice to have also wrapers to reading files from git 
repository, ate least some generic read_file/readdir.

For example it might be faster to list branches and/or tags by directly
reading $GIT_DIR/refs directory than using 'git branch' or 'git tag -l'.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git