Subject: Re: [PATCH] Makefile: set USE_PIC on Linux x86_64 for linking with Git.pm

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 00:22:37 +0200

Pavel Roskin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 21:21 +0200, Marco Roeland wrote:
>> I certainly do not know cases outside Linux where this might break on
>> x86-64. I just tried to limit it to the case I could test. But perhaps
>> someone with an x86-64 BSD or Solaris might try it?
>> 
>> To paraphrase Dave Jones: I type 'make', it fails. Some 'git log' later
>> I realise I have to manually define 'USE_PIC'. Hey, why doesn't it work
>> automagically?
> 
> Automagically?  You should search the archives for "Autoconf".  When I
> proposed using it, the hell broke loose.  Now let me indulge in
> Schadenfreude :-)

If I remember correctly everybody agreed that autoconf is least evil of the
whole autotools package. pasky suggested to write ./configure script by
hand on #git...

I'm trying to do inobtrusive _optional_ autoconf support in the patch series
beginning with
  Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
  http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/22832

Please wait for the patch moving ./autoconf output away from config.mak
(as some people here requested), and do contribute! My autoconf/m4
experience is nonexistent (I'm learning it as I go). See comments in the
third [PATCH/RFC] in series.

BTW. patches are against master.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git