Subject: Re: [RFC] Cache negative delta pairs

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 00:31:59 +0200

Junio C Hamano wrote:

> [...] For example, we currently do
> not delta OpenOffice documents (*.odt, *.odp, etc) very well.
> If one has a repository that tracks the history of "file.odp",
> we know each revision of "file.odp" would not delta against any
> other version anyway, and could skip attempting to deltify them.

Perhaps we should steal Mercurial idea of EncodeDecodeFilter, and store
OpenOffice documents, Mozilla extensions, Java packages in object store as
uncompressed archive, and checkout them to working area in original format.
All diff should be of course done on in-repository (after-filter) format.

The original example at 
  http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/EncodeDecodeFilter
talks about archives (zip files) and unix2dos endline convention conversion.

Perhaps for OpenOffice and Mozilla we would need to use [external] XML-aware
diff, too...

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git