Subject: Re: qgit idea: interface for cherry-picking

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 23:46:20 +0200

Marco Costalba wrote:

> On 7/2/06, Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Currently in qgit one can git-format-patch a commit. It woul be nice 
>> if one would be able to git-cherry-pick and git-cherry-pick -n a commit
>> (denoting the head, i.e. where cherry pick would be applied to). It would
>> be very usefull in reordering patches (cleaning up history).   
> 
> Currently in qgit you can git-format-patch a commit series and git-am
> a given patch file series.
> This can be done transparently with a drag & drop mechanic:
> 
> 1) Open the source repository
> 2) Then open a new qgit instance (File->Open in a new window...)
> 3) Open the destination repository in the new qgit window
> 4) Drag & drop selected commits (multi selection in supported) from
> source to destination.

Does multi selection commits all selected commits as one merged commit?

> I normally use this instead of git-cherry-pick  that, I admit, I don't
> know very well, so please I need some more hints on how to upgrade
> this behaviour introducing git.cherry-pick support.

I use git-cherry-pick -n to join few patches into one, or with editing the
result to split one patch/commit into few smaller.

git-cherry-pick [-n] <commit> picks up a commit and drops it on top of
current branch. I'd like to see it in context menu for current commit,
i.e. "cherry-pick to <head>", where <head> will be replaced by current
branch name, or/and "cherry-pick -n to <head>". 

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git