Subject: Re: qgit idea: interface for cherry-picking

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 00:54:39 +0200

Marco Costalba wrote:

> What do you think about this:
> 
> When dropping the selected commits, instead of creating new commits,
> appears a message box with something like "Do you want to apply the
> commits on top of your current branch or on your working directory?"
> 
> Sounds good for you? Or you still prefer the context menu?
> In the latter case, if I have understood correctly, you are limited to
> cherry-pick among branches and/or working directory of the _same_
> repository.

Yes, git-cherry-pick works only between commits in the same repository,
as it use merge (first "simple", i.e. git-read-tree -m -u --aggresive, if
fails tries "automatic" i.e. git-merge-index -o git-merge-one-file -a, then
git-write-tree), as opposed to git-format-patch and git-am or git-apply,
which can work across repositories.

What I really want is "no-commit" of drag'n'dropped, or exported and applied
commits/patches (although interface to cherry-pick would be nice, even if
cherry-pick is limited), so I'd like message box with "Do you want to
commit selected patches?" when dropping commits, or something like that.
Unfortunately git-am doesn't have --no-commit flag, but one could emulate it
with git-reset after git-am a patch, I think.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git