Subject: Re: git-fetch per-repository speed issues

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 08:44:48 +0200

Jeff King wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 04:14:10PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> 
>> Well, you could use multiple branches in the same repository, even if
they 
>> are totally unrealated. That would allow you to fetch them all in one go.
> 
> One annoying thing about this is that you may want to have several of
> the branches checked out at a time (i.e., you want the actual directory
> structure of libXrandr/, Xorg/, etc). You could pull everything down
> into one repo and point small pseudo-repos at it with alternates, but I
> would think that would become a mess with pushes. You can do some magic
> with read-tree --prefix, but again, I'm not sure how you'd make commits
> on the correct branch.  Is there an easier way to do this?

Write proper subprojects support for git, or pester someone to write it
(finally). See Subpro.txt in todo branch.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git