Subject: Re: qgit idea: interface for cherry-picking

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 15:29:28 +0200

Marco Costalba wrote:

> In the past weeks I (with Pavel support) have implemented and pushed
> the concept of "custom actions".
> 
> Is it possible to associate commands sequences, scripts and anything
> else executable to a custom action. Actions can be called and run from
> menu entry and corresponding output is grabbed by a terminal window.
> 
> Instead of hard code each git-native command, this way you have a
> flexible framework to add shortcuts and menu entry for anything you
> would like to be a click away. BTW I use this for stuff like git pull,
> but also for 'make' and 'make install' because you have a window
> terminal for feedback.
> 
> There is also the possibility to input command line parameters before
> to run, useful, as example for a git pull action that asks for source
> repository to pull from.
> 
> Is this something that can fulfill you request? do you need something
> different?  perhaps something as a "default to current selected SHA as
> input argument" flag.

It would be nice (I don't know if feasible) that either to provide some kind
of parameters substitution in the likes of "%head" in the invocation line
for a script to be expanded to the sha1 or name of head of currently
selected commit.

Other solution would be to provide GUI for input of command line parameters,
e.g. combo-box (i.e. editable text field, with provided list of default
values) for repository (populated from .git/branches and .git/remotes),
option to select commit or use selected commit for head ref or just commit
ref, etc...

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git