Subject: Re: RFC - Git Developer Blog

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2019 08:19:15 -0400

On 8/6/2019 12:52 AM, Andrew Ardill wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 at 11:51, Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> Are folks interested in writing and reviewing this kind of content?

I am interested in writing and reviewing! Here are some topics I am
interested in writing:

* Updates to the commit-graph feature
* What is a multi-pack-index and what is it for?
* Git at Scale: What makes a repo big, and how to avoid it?
* Advanced Git config settings

Here are some topics I'd be interested in seeing in the wild
(and was considering writing them myself if I didn't see them elsewhere):

* Partial clone: what, why, and how?
* Life cycle of a patch series
* Crafting perfect patches with interactive add and rebase

It would also be helpful to have a post for every major release
highlighting new features and giving users examples of how to use them.
Taylor has been writing these on the GitHub blog [1], but maybe he
would be interested in writing them for this new venue?

[1] https://github.blog/2019-06-07-highlights-from-git-2-22/

> The idea sounds great, and I would be happy to review content - even
> if it's only for readability and spelling!
> 
> In terms of collaborating, I've found the processes over at Git Rev
> News[0] straightforward and sensible, if you're looking for ideas.

I agree that the review process there is helpful, and users contributing
edits via PRs to a feature branch works quite well. I would also suggest
writing a "request for review" on the mailing list before merging any
pull requests.

One goal I think would be important is that this blog is that the posts
come with some amount of blessing from "the Git Dev Community". That is,
they should be service-agnostic and focused on helping _all_ Git users.

That said, I also suggest that the authors can list their professional
affiliation as some minimum amount of credit to their employers. Something
as simple as "Author: Derrick Stolee, Microsoft" would go a long way to
justifying the work it takes to write these on the community blog and not
a company-owned blog.
 
Thanks,
-Stolee