Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 1/1] replay: make atomic ref updates the default behavior

From: Siddharth Asthana <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2025 01:36:40 +0530

On 04/10/25 02:02, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Elijah Newren <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> For naming, I am thinking either:
>>>     - replay.updateRefs (boolean: true = update, false = output-commands)
>>>     - replay.defaultOutput (string: "update" | "commands")
>>>
>>> The boolean feels simpler, but the string might be more extensible if we
>>> add other output modes later. Which pattern feels more consistent with
>>> existing Git config conventions? Looking at rebase.* they're mostly
>>> boolean toggles, but am I missing a better example to follow?
>> replay.updateRefs sounds better to me.  defaultOutput with "update"
>> doesn't make sense to me.
> Yup.  Or "replay.defaultAction = (update-ref | show-comamnds)" if we
> anticipate that we might have a third option someday.  That would of
> course affect the choice of the command line option.

That's interesting. Between:
- replay.updateRefs (boolean)
- replay.defaultAction (enum string)

The enum is more extensible, but do we actually anticipate other modes?
Elijah's --format idea from Kristoffer might be a third mode eventually,
but that seems far off.

I am leaning toward the simpler replay.updateRefs boolean for now, but if
you think the extensibility is worth it, I can go with defaultAction.
What's your preference?