Subject: Re: Standard "git svn init ; git svn fetch" behavior

From: "Peter Harris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:37:32 -0400

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 7:24 AM, "Peter Valdemar Mørch (Lists)" wrote:
>
> 1) It seems the svn tags were converted into git branches such as
> "tags/mytag". Is that normal?

Yes.

Subversion doesn't really have tags. They're just branches with 'tag'
in the name. git-svn wants them to be branches on the git side so that
it can track future commits to the 'tag'.

> Re: 2) Why does master end up being off of tags/mytag instead of off of
> trunk?
>
> I would have expected, that "master" ended up tracking "trunk", and not
> tags/mytag. Why track an obscure tag instead of trunk?

Some projects work on trunk and keep a maint branch. Some projects
work on branches, and only merge bug fixes to trunk. To facilitate
this model, git-svn tries to guess which branch is your working
branch, and picks that one to be master.

In this case, you were unlucky enough to have the most recent commit
be on a tag-branch.

> Is there a smarter way to find out what branchpoint was used to create
> "master"? (I'm new to git, and find it difficult to see what my branches
> were "made from")

Git doesn't know what any particular branch was "made from", as the
branch point in question may be an ancestor of any number of other
branches.

git-svn does keep track of the subversion branch you are working on.
"git svn info"

Peter Harris