Subject: Re: Git files data formats documentation

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 20:41:32 +0200

A Large Angry SCM wrote:

> <TREE_ENTRY>
>         # The type of the object referenced MUST be appropriate for
>         # the mode. Regular files and symbolic links reference a BLOB
>         # and directories reference a TREE.
>         :       <OCTAL_MODE> <SP> <NAME> <NUL> <BINARY_OBJ_ID>
>         ;
[...]
> <OCTAL_MODE>
>         # Octal encoding, without prefix, of the file system object
>         # type and permission bits. The bit layout is according to the
>         # POSIX standard, with only regular files, directories, and
>         # symbolic links permitted. The actual permission bits are
>         # all zero except for regular files. The only permission bit
>         # of any consequence to Git is the owner executable bit. By
>         # default, the permission bits for files will be either 0644
>         # or 0755, depending on the owner executable bit.
>         ;

I do wonder why there is <OCTAL_MODE> (and not <BINARY_OCTAL_MODE>) 
but <BINARY_OBJ_ID> (and not <HEX_OBJ_ID>).

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git