Subject: Re: [PATCH/RFC] gitweb: Great subroutines renaming

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 02:10:33 +0200

Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> writes:

>> So the new guidelines would be:
>> * git_get_ prefix for subroutines related to git repository
>>   and returning single scalar (single value).
>> * git_read_ prefix for subroutines related to git repository, reading some
>>   files or multiline output, and returning hash reference, or list
>>   reference, or list.
> 
> I would suggest to use git_get for both, unless there is a good
> reason to differenciate them, since I do not understand why you
> would want to differenciate one value vs multivalue.

I'd rather have git_read_info_refs, because it _reads_ info/refs file, 
and git_read_refs as opposed to git_get_hash/git_get_ref/git_ref_to_hash
(or hash_from_ref). I'm not sure about git_read_projects vs. perhaps
git_get_project_list or git_list_projects. Neither about 
git_read_description vs. git_get_project_description

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git