Subject: [PATCH 3/3] rebase: note `preserve` merges may be a pull config option

From: "Philip Oakley via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 09:21:05 +0000

From: Philip Oakley <[email-masked]>

The `--preserve-merges` option was removed by v2.35.0. However
users may not be aware that it is also a Pull option, and it is
still offered by major IDE vendors such as Visual Studio.

Extend the `--preserve-merges` die message to also direct users to
the use of the `preserve` option in the `pull` config.

Signed-off-by: Philip Oakley <[email-masked]>
---
 builtin/rebase.c | 3 ++-
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/builtin/rebase.c b/builtin/rebase.c
index aada25a8870..6fc0aaebbb8 100644
--- a/builtin/rebase.c
+++ b/builtin/rebase.c
@@ -1205,7 +1205,8 @@ int cmd_rebase(int argc, const char **argv, const char *prefix)
 			     builtin_rebase_usage, 0);
 
 	if (preserve_merges_selected)
-		die(_("--preserve-merges was replaced by --rebase-merges"));
+		die(_("--preserve-merges was replaced by --rebase-merges\n"
+			"Your `pull` configuration, may also invoke this option."));
 
 	if (action != ACTION_NONE && total_argc != 2) {
 		usage_with_options(builtin_rebase_usage,
-- 
gitgitgadget