Subject: Re: Change set based shallow clone

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 11:04:54 +0200

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Paul Mackerras wrote:
>> 
>> Do you think there is any way to speed up the cold-cache case for
>> git-ls-remote and git-rev-parse with thousands of heads and tags?
> 
> Nothing obvious comes to mind.
> 
> If we did the same pack-file approach that we do for objects, the problem 
> ends up being that _updating_ things is really hard. What we could do (and 
> might work) is that a "git repack" would create a "packed representation 
> of the heads too".

Because usually there is reasonable number of heads, and that is the tags
that might be problem, because the number of tags likes to grow with the
history, perhaps we could pack only tags heads into the pack? This has
additional advantage that tags, especially annotated tags (i.e. true tags
objects) changes rarely.
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git