Subject: Re: Change set based shallow clone

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 02:06:56 +0200

Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Paul Mackerras <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Junio C Hamano writes:
>>
>>> That's a dubious idea.
>>> 
>>>  - Why assume a tag points directly at a commit, or if it is
>>>    not, why assume "foo^{}" (dereferencing repeatedly until we
>>>    get a non-tag) is special?
>>
>> Umm, I'm not sure what you're getting at here - if one shouldn't make
>> those assumptions, why does git ls-remote output both the tag and
>> tag^{} lines?
> 
> This was originally done to support Cogito's tag following which
> was in its infancy.  So in that sense it is already special (iow
> we know one user that can take advantage of it), but my point
> was that its usefulness for a commit chain fetching application
> (i.e. Cogito) does not automatically mean it is also useful for
> visualizers like gitk and gitweb.

Actually 'git ls-remote .' _is_ useful for gitweb, see the new 
git_get_references code. 

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git