Subject: Re: bare repositories: packing and fetching

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 20:11:41 +0200

Andy Whitcroft wrote:

> I was trying to make a bare repo to stage linus' main tree.  As this was
> only to be a local tree for others to pull from I thought that I could
> clone his tree 'bare' and then fetch into that on a regular basis.  That
> does not appear to be the case?  Both git fetch and git repack say 'not
> a git repository .git' and bail.
> 
> Is this expected behaviour.  Do I have to have all the checked out files?

No, but perhaps git doesn't detect _where_ is a git repository. With full
repository git tries to find .git somewhere in the directory, or it's
parents, if I understand correctly.

If running git commands from the inside of bare repository doesn't work, try
setting enviromental variable GIT_DIR (e.g. GIT_DIR=git.git git fetch
origin), or with git 1.4.2 or newer with --git-dir option (e.g. git
--git-dir=git fetch origin).
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git