Subject: Re: Subversion-style incrementing revision numbers

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 02:15:00 +0200

Joel Dice wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Petr Baudis wrote:
>>> This is actually exactly how SVN revision numbering works. There's just
>>> a single number (no '1.') and it indeed jumps randomly if you have
>>> several concurrent branches in your (ok, Linus does not have any, just
>>> someone's) repository.
>>
>> Oh, ok, if it's just a single numbering, then that's easy to do. It won't
>> _mean_ anything, and you're seriously screwed if you ever merge anything
>> else (or use a git that doesn't update the refcache or whatever), but it
>> is simple and stable within a single repo.
> 
> Well, what it means is "this is the order in which commits were applied to 
> this repository".  I suggest that this information is useful for the most 
> common development style - the kind which relies on a central repository 
> as the canonical source for a project's code.  "gcc-trunk-r117064" means a 
> lot more to me than "39282037d7cc39829f1d56bf8307b8e5430d585f", and is no 
> less precise.

What about "v1.4.2.1-gf7f93e7", or "tags/v1.4.2-rc4^0~19", or just
"39282037"? Or "next@{2006-09-19 22:44:33 +0000}"?

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git