Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC 0/2] Move libgit.a sources into separate "lib/" directory

From: Phillip Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2026 15:11:54 +0100

Hi Patrick

On 16/04/2026 14:24, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> this small patch series follows up on a discussion we had two years ago
> during the Git Contributor's Summit in Berlin.
> 
> I'm fully aware that this will likely result in some discussion, which
> is why I have labelled this as RFC. I'd be fine with a result of "let's
> not do it" if we cannot agree on this step, but I think that the current
> layout hurts discoverability quite a bit. Not only for newcomers, but
> I'm also struggling with it quite frequently.

I think it makes sense to have all the sources for libgit.a in their own 
directory as it is easier to say things like "please try to avoid new 
uses of 'the_repository' and prefer 'error()' over 'die()' in library 
code" if all the library code is in the same directory. I'm not really 
convinced it helps with discovery though as there are just as many files 
and now there are more subdirectories to trawl through to find what 
you're looking for. I think the anwser to that problem is "use 'git 
grep' or 'ctags' etc."

> I also intentionally decided to send this close to the upcoming release
> so that the series can be merged early in the next release cycle if we
> were to agree on it.

That seems very sensible to me

Thanks

Phillip

> I've tested this patch series with both GitLab [1] and GitHub [2].
> 
> Thanks!
> 
> Patrick
> 
> [1]: https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/git/-/merge_requests/544
> [2]: https://github.com/git/git/pull/2271
> 
> ---
> Patrick Steinhardt (2):
>        t/helper: prepare "test-example-tap.c" for introduction of "lib/"
>        Move libgit.a sources into separate "lib/" directory
> 
>   .github/workflows/main.yml                         |   8 +-
>   .gitmodules                                        |   2 +-
>   Documentation/Makefile                             |   4 +-
>   Makefile                                           | 762 ++++++++++-----------
>   config.mak.uname                                   |  52 +-
>   contrib/buildsystems/CMakeLists.txt                | 107 +--
>   git.rc.in                                          |   2 +-
>   abspath.c => lib/abspath.c                         |   0
>   abspath.h => lib/abspath.h                         |   0
>   add-interactive.c => lib/add-interactive.c         |   0
>   add-interactive.h => lib/add-interactive.h         |   0
>   add-patch.c => lib/add-patch.c                     |   0
>   add-patch.h => lib/add-patch.h                     |   0
>   advice.c => lib/advice.c                           |   0
>   advice.h => lib/advice.h                           |   0
>   alias.c => lib/alias.c                             |   0
>   alias.h => lib/alias.h                             |   0
>   alloc.c => lib/alloc.c                             |   0
>   alloc.h => lib/alloc.h                             |   0
>   apply.c => lib/apply.c                             |   0
>   apply.h => lib/apply.h                             |   0
>   archive-tar.c => lib/archive-tar.c                 |   0
>   archive-zip.c => lib/archive-zip.c                 |   0
>   archive.c => lib/archive.c                         |   0
>   archive.h => lib/archive.h                         |   0
>   attr.c => lib/attr.c                               |   0
>   attr.h => lib/attr.h                               |   0
>   banned.h => lib/banned.h                           |   0
>   base85.c => lib/base85.c                           |   0
>   base85.h => lib/base85.h                           |   0
>   bisect.c => lib/bisect.c                           |   0
>   bisect.h => lib/bisect.h                           |   0
>   blame.c => lib/blame.c                             |   0
>   blame.h => lib/blame.h                             |   0
>   blob.c => lib/blob.c                               |   0
>   blob.h => lib/blob.h                               |   0
>   {block-sha1 => lib/block-sha1}/sha1.c              |   0
>   {block-sha1 => lib/block-sha1}/sha1.h              |   0
>   bloom.c => lib/bloom.c                             |   0
>   bloom.h => lib/bloom.h                             |   0
>   branch.c => lib/branch.c                           |   0
>   branch.h => lib/branch.h                           |   0
>   builtin.h => lib/builtin.h                         |   0
>   bundle-uri.c => lib/bundle-uri.c                   |   0
>   bundle-uri.h => lib/bundle-uri.h                   |   0
>   bundle.c => lib/bundle.c                           |   0
>   bundle.h => lib/bundle.h                           |   0
>   cache-tree.c => lib/cache-tree.c                   |   0
>   cache-tree.h => lib/cache-tree.h                   |   0
>   cbtree.c => lib/cbtree.c                           |   0
>   cbtree.h => lib/cbtree.h                           |   0
>   chdir-notify.c => lib/chdir-notify.c               |   0
>   chdir-notify.h => lib/chdir-notify.h               |   0
>   checkout.c => lib/checkout.c                       |   0
>   checkout.h => lib/checkout.h                       |   0
>   chunk-format.c => lib/chunk-format.c               |   0
>   chunk-format.h => lib/chunk-format.h               |   0
>   color.c => lib/color.c                             |   0
>   color.h => lib/color.h                             |   0
>   column.c => lib/column.c                           |   0
>   column.h => lib/column.h                           |   0
>   combine-diff.c => lib/combine-diff.c               |   0
>   commit-graph.c => lib/commit-graph.c               |   0
>   commit-graph.h => lib/commit-graph.h               |   0
>   commit-reach.c => lib/commit-reach.c               |   0
>   commit-reach.h => lib/commit-reach.h               |   0
>   commit-slab-decl.h => lib/commit-slab-decl.h       |   0
>   commit-slab-impl.h => lib/commit-slab-impl.h       |   0
>   commit-slab.h => lib/commit-slab.h                 |   0
>   commit.c => lib/commit.c                           |   0
>   commit.h => lib/commit.h                           |   0
>   common-exit.c => lib/common-exit.c                 |   0
>   common-init.c => lib/common-init.c                 |   0
>   common-init.h => lib/common-init.h                 |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/.gitattributes              |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/access.c                    |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/apple-common-crypto.h       |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/basename.c                  |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/bswap.h                     |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/compiler.h                  |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/darwin/procinfo.c           |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/disk.h                      |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/fileno.c                    |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/fopen.c                     |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/fsmonitor/fsm-darwin-gcc.h  |   0
>   .../compat}/fsmonitor/fsm-health-darwin.c          |   0
>   .../compat}/fsmonitor/fsm-health-win32.c           |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/fsmonitor/fsm-health.h      |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/fsmonitor/fsm-ipc-darwin.c  |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/fsmonitor/fsm-ipc-win32.c   |   0
>   .../compat}/fsmonitor/fsm-listen-darwin.c          |   0
>   .../compat}/fsmonitor/fsm-listen-win32.c           |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/fsmonitor/fsm-listen.h      |   0
>   .../compat}/fsmonitor/fsm-path-utils-darwin.c      |   0
>   .../compat}/fsmonitor/fsm-path-utils-win32.c       |   0
>   .../compat}/fsmonitor/fsm-settings-darwin.c        |   0
>   .../compat}/fsmonitor/fsm-settings-win32.c         |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/hstrerror.c                 |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/inet_ntop.c                 |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/inet_pton.c                 |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/linux/procinfo.c            |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/memmem.c                    |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/mingw-posix.h               |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/mingw.c                     |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/mingw.h                     |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/mkdir.c                     |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/mmap.c                      |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/msvc-posix.h                |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/msvc.c                      |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/msvc.h                      |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/nedmalloc/License.txt       |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/nedmalloc/Readme.txt        |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/nedmalloc/malloc.c.h        |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/nedmalloc/nedmalloc.c       |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/nedmalloc/nedmalloc.h       |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/nonblock.c                  |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/nonblock.h                  |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/obstack.c                   |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/obstack.h                   |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/open.c                      |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/poll/poll.c                 |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/poll/poll.h                 |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/posix.h                     |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/pread.c                     |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/precompose_utf8.c           |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/precompose_utf8.h           |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/qsort_s.c                   |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/regcomp_enhanced.c          |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/regex/regcomp.c             |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/regex/regex.c               |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/regex/regex.h               |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/regex/regex_internal.c      |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/regex/regex_internal.h      |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/regex/regexec.c             |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/setenv.c                    |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/sha1-chunked.c              |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/sha1-chunked.h              |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/simple-ipc/ipc-shared.c     |   0
>   .../compat}/simple-ipc/ipc-unix-socket.c           |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/simple-ipc/ipc-win32.c      |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/snprintf.c                  |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/stat.c                      |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/strcasestr.c                |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/strdup.c                    |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/strlcpy.c                   |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/strtoimax.c                 |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/strtoumax.c                 |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/stub/procinfo.c             |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/terminal.c                  |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/terminal.h                  |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/unsetenv.c                  |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/vcbuild/.gitignore          |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/vcbuild/README              |  10 +-
>   {compat => lib/compat}/vcbuild/find_vs_env.bat     |   2 +-
>   {compat => lib/compat}/vcbuild/include/sys/param.h |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/vcbuild/include/sys/time.h  |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/vcbuild/include/sys/utime.h |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/vcbuild/include/unistd.h    |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/vcbuild/include/utime.h     |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/vcbuild/scripts/clink.pl    |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/vcbuild/scripts/lib.pl      |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/vcbuild/vcpkg_copy_dlls.bat |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/vcbuild/vcpkg_install.bat   |   4 +-
>   {compat => lib/compat}/win32.h                     |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/win32/alloca.h              |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/win32/dirent.c              |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/win32/dirent.h              |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/win32/flush.c               |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/win32/git.manifest          |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/win32/headless.c            |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/win32/lazyload.h            |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/win32/path-utils.c          |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/win32/path-utils.h          |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/win32/pthread.c             |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/win32/pthread.h             |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/win32/syslog.c              |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/win32/syslog.h              |   0
>   .../compat}/win32/trace2_win32_process_info.c      |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/win32mmap.c                 |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/winansi.c                   |   0
>   {compat => lib/compat}/zlib-compat.h               |   0
>   .../compiler-tricks}/not-constant.c                |   0
>   config.c => lib/config.c                           |   0
>   config.h => lib/config.h                           |   0
>   connect.c => lib/connect.c                         |   0
>   connect.h => lib/connect.h                         |   0
>   connected.c => lib/connected.c                     |   0
>   connected.h => lib/connected.h                     |   0
>   convert.c => lib/convert.c                         |   0
>   convert.h => lib/convert.h                         |   0
>   copy.c => lib/copy.c                               |   0
>   copy.h => lib/copy.h                               |   0
>   credential.c => lib/credential.c                   |   0
>   credential.h => lib/credential.h                   |   0
>   csum-file.c => lib/csum-file.c                     |   0
>   csum-file.h => lib/csum-file.h                     |   0
>   ctype.c => lib/ctype.c                             |   0
>   date.c => lib/date.c                               |   0
>   date.h => lib/date.h                               |   0
>   decorate.c => lib/decorate.c                       |   0
>   decorate.h => lib/decorate.h                       |   0
>   delta-islands.c => lib/delta-islands.c             |   0
>   delta-islands.h => lib/delta-islands.h             |   0
>   delta.h => lib/delta.h                             |   0
>   diagnose.c => lib/diagnose.c                       |   0
>   diagnose.h => lib/diagnose.h                       |   0
>   diff-delta.c => lib/diff-delta.c                   |   0
>   diff-lib.c => lib/diff-lib.c                       |   0
>   diff-merges.c => lib/diff-merges.c                 |   0
>   diff-merges.h => lib/diff-merges.h                 |   0
>   diff-no-index.c => lib/diff-no-index.c             |   0
>   diff.c => lib/diff.c                               |   0
>   diff.h => lib/diff.h                               |   0
>   diffcore-break.c => lib/diffcore-break.c           |   0
>   diffcore-delta.c => lib/diffcore-delta.c           |   0
>   diffcore-order.c => lib/diffcore-order.c           |   0
>   diffcore-pickaxe.c => lib/diffcore-pickaxe.c       |   0
>   diffcore-rename.c => lib/diffcore-rename.c         |   0
>   diffcore-rotate.c => lib/diffcore-rotate.c         |   0
>   diffcore.h => lib/diffcore.h                       |   0
>   dir-iterator.c => lib/dir-iterator.c               |   0
>   dir-iterator.h => lib/dir-iterator.h               |   0
>   dir.c => lib/dir.c                                 |   0
>   dir.h => lib/dir.h                                 |   0
>   editor.c => lib/editor.c                           |   0
>   editor.h => lib/editor.h                           |   0
>   entry.c => lib/entry.c                             |   0
>   entry.h => lib/entry.h                             |   0
>   environment.c => lib/environment.c                 |   0
>   environment.h => lib/environment.h                 |   0
>   {ewah => lib/ewah}/bitmap.c                        |   0
>   {ewah => lib/ewah}/ewah_bitmap.c                   |   0
>   {ewah => lib/ewah}/ewah_io.c                       |   0
>   {ewah => lib/ewah}/ewah_rlw.c                      |   0
>   {ewah => lib/ewah}/ewok.h                          |   0
>   {ewah => lib/ewah}/ewok_rlw.h                      |   0
>   exec-cmd.c => lib/exec-cmd.c                       |   0
>   exec-cmd.h => lib/exec-cmd.h                       |   0
>   fetch-negotiator.c => lib/fetch-negotiator.c       |   0
>   fetch-negotiator.h => lib/fetch-negotiator.h       |   0
>   fetch-pack.c => lib/fetch-pack.c                   |   0
>   fetch-pack.h => lib/fetch-pack.h                   |   0
>   fmt-merge-msg.c => lib/fmt-merge-msg.c             |   0
>   fmt-merge-msg.h => lib/fmt-merge-msg.h             |   0
>   for-each-ref.h => lib/for-each-ref.h               |   0
>   fsck.c => lib/fsck.c                               |   0
>   fsck.h => lib/fsck.h                               |   0
>   fsmonitor--daemon.h => lib/fsmonitor--daemon.h     |   0
>   fsmonitor-ipc.c => lib/fsmonitor-ipc.c             |   0
>   fsmonitor-ipc.h => lib/fsmonitor-ipc.h             |   0
>   fsmonitor-ll.h => lib/fsmonitor-ll.h               |   0
>   .../fsmonitor-path-utils.h                         |   0
>   fsmonitor-settings.c => lib/fsmonitor-settings.c   |   0
>   fsmonitor-settings.h => lib/fsmonitor-settings.h   |   0
>   fsmonitor.c => lib/fsmonitor.c                     |   0
>   fsmonitor.h => lib/fsmonitor.h                     |   0
>   gettext.c => lib/gettext.c                         |   0
>   gettext.h => lib/gettext.h                         |   0
>   git-compat-util.h => lib/git-compat-util.h         |   0
>   git-curl-compat.h => lib/git-curl-compat.h         |   0
>   git-zlib.c => lib/git-zlib.c                       |   0
>   git-zlib.h => lib/git-zlib.h                       |   0
>   gpg-interface.c => lib/gpg-interface.c             |   0
>   gpg-interface.h => lib/gpg-interface.h             |   0
>   graph.c => lib/graph.c                             |   0
>   graph.h => lib/graph.h                             |   0
>   grep.c => lib/grep.c                               |   0
>   grep.h => lib/grep.h                               |   0
>   hash-lookup.c => lib/hash-lookup.c                 |   0
>   hash-lookup.h => lib/hash-lookup.h                 |   0
>   hash.c => lib/hash.c                               |   0
>   hash.h => lib/hash.h                               |   0
>   hashmap.c => lib/hashmap.c                         |   0
>   hashmap.h => lib/hashmap.h                         |   0
>   help.c => lib/help.c                               |   0
>   help.h => lib/help.h                               |   0
>   hex-ll.c => lib/hex-ll.c                           |   0
>   hex-ll.h => lib/hex-ll.h                           |   0
>   hex.c => lib/hex.c                                 |   0
>   hex.h => lib/hex.h                                 |   0
>   hook.c => lib/hook.c                               |   0
>   hook.h => lib/hook.h                               |   0
>   http-walker.c => lib/http-walker.c                 |   0
>   http.c => lib/http.c                               |   0
>   http.h => lib/http.h                               |   0
>   ident.c => lib/ident.c                             |   0
>   ident.h => lib/ident.h                             |   0
>   iterator.h => lib/iterator.h                       |   0
>   json-writer.c => lib/json-writer.c                 |   0
>   json-writer.h => lib/json-writer.h                 |   0
>   khash.h => lib/khash.h                             |   0
>   kwset.c => lib/kwset.c                             |   0
>   kwset.h => lib/kwset.h                             |   0
>   levenshtein.c => lib/levenshtein.c                 |   0
>   levenshtein.h => lib/levenshtein.h                 |   0
>   line-log.c => lib/line-log.c                       |   0
>   line-log.h => lib/line-log.h                       |   0
>   line-range.c => lib/line-range.c                   |   0
>   line-range.h => lib/line-range.h                   |   0
>   linear-assignment.c => lib/linear-assignment.c     |   0
>   linear-assignment.h => lib/linear-assignment.h     |   0
>   .../list-objects-filter-options.c                  |   0
>   .../list-objects-filter-options.h                  |   0
>   list-objects-filter.c => lib/list-objects-filter.c |   0
>   list-objects-filter.h => lib/list-objects-filter.h |   0
>   list-objects.c => lib/list-objects.c               |   0
>   list-objects.h => lib/list-objects.h               |   0
>   list.h => lib/list.h                               |   0
>   lockfile.c => lib/lockfile.c                       |   0
>   lockfile.h => lib/lockfile.h                       |   0
>   log-tree.c => lib/log-tree.c                       |   0
>   log-tree.h => lib/log-tree.h                       |   0
>   loose.c => lib/loose.c                             |   0
>   loose.h => lib/loose.h                             |   0
>   ls-refs.c => lib/ls-refs.c                         |   0
>   ls-refs.h => lib/ls-refs.h                         |   0
>   mailinfo.c => lib/mailinfo.c                       |   0
>   mailinfo.h => lib/mailinfo.h                       |   0
>   mailmap.c => lib/mailmap.c                         |   0
>   mailmap.h => lib/mailmap.h                         |   0
>   match-trees.c => lib/match-trees.c                 |   0
>   match-trees.h => lib/match-trees.h                 |   0
>   mem-pool.c => lib/mem-pool.c                       |   0
>   mem-pool.h => lib/mem-pool.h                       |   0
>   merge-blobs.c => lib/merge-blobs.c                 |   0
>   merge-blobs.h => lib/merge-blobs.h                 |   0
>   merge-ll.c => lib/merge-ll.c                       |   0
>   merge-ll.h => lib/merge-ll.h                       |   0
>   merge-ort-wrappers.c => lib/merge-ort-wrappers.c   |   0
>   merge-ort-wrappers.h => lib/merge-ort-wrappers.h   |   0
>   merge-ort.c => lib/merge-ort.c                     |   0
>   merge-ort.h => lib/merge-ort.h                     |   0
>   merge.c => lib/merge.c                             |   0
>   merge.h => lib/merge.h                             |   0
>   mergesort.h => lib/mergesort.h                     |   0
>   midx-write.c => lib/midx-write.c                   |   0
>   midx.c => lib/midx.c                               |   0
>   midx.h => lib/midx.h                               |   0
>   name-hash.c => lib/name-hash.c                     |   0
>   name-hash.h => lib/name-hash.h                     |   0
>   {negotiator => lib/negotiator}/default.c           |   0
>   {negotiator => lib/negotiator}/default.h           |   0
>   {negotiator => lib/negotiator}/noop.c              |   0
>   {negotiator => lib/negotiator}/noop.h              |   0
>   {negotiator => lib/negotiator}/skipping.c          |   0
>   {negotiator => lib/negotiator}/skipping.h          |   0
>   notes-cache.c => lib/notes-cache.c                 |   0
>   notes-cache.h => lib/notes-cache.h                 |   0
>   notes-merge.c => lib/notes-merge.c                 |   0
>   notes-merge.h => lib/notes-merge.h                 |   0
>   notes-utils.c => lib/notes-utils.c                 |   0
>   notes-utils.h => lib/notes-utils.h                 |   0
>   notes.c => lib/notes.c                             |   0
>   notes.h => lib/notes.h                             |   0
>   object-file-convert.c => lib/object-file-convert.c |   0
>   object-file-convert.h => lib/object-file-convert.h |   0
>   object-file.c => lib/object-file.c                 |   0
>   object-file.h => lib/object-file.h                 |   0
>   object-name.c => lib/object-name.c                 |   0
>   object-name.h => lib/object-name.h                 |   0
>   object.c => lib/object.c                           |   0
>   object.h => lib/object.h                           |   0
>   odb.c => lib/odb.c                                 |   0
>   odb.h => lib/odb.h                                 |   0
>   {odb => lib/odb}/source-files.c                    |   0
>   {odb => lib/odb}/source-files.h                    |   0
>   {odb => lib/odb}/source.c                          |   0
>   {odb => lib/odb}/source.h                          |   0
>   {odb => lib/odb}/streaming.c                       |   0
>   {odb => lib/odb}/streaming.h                       |   0
>   oid-array.c => lib/oid-array.c                     |   0
>   oid-array.h => lib/oid-array.h                     |   0
>   oidmap.c => lib/oidmap.c                           |   0
>   oidmap.h => lib/oidmap.h                           |   0
>   oidset.c => lib/oidset.c                           |   0
>   oidset.h => lib/oidset.h                           |   0
>   oidtree.c => lib/oidtree.c                         |   0
>   oidtree.h => lib/oidtree.h                         |   0
>   pack-bitmap-write.c => lib/pack-bitmap-write.c     |   0
>   pack-bitmap.c => lib/pack-bitmap.c                 |   0
>   pack-bitmap.h => lib/pack-bitmap.h                 |   0
>   pack-check.c => lib/pack-check.c                   |   0
>   pack-mtimes.c => lib/pack-mtimes.c                 |   0
>   pack-mtimes.h => lib/pack-mtimes.h                 |   0
>   pack-objects.c => lib/pack-objects.c               |   0
>   pack-objects.h => lib/pack-objects.h               |   0
>   pack-refs.c => lib/pack-refs.c                     |   0
>   pack-refs.h => lib/pack-refs.h                     |   0
>   pack-revindex.c => lib/pack-revindex.c             |   0
>   pack-revindex.h => lib/pack-revindex.h             |   0
>   pack-write.c => lib/pack-write.c                   |   0
>   pack.h => lib/pack.h                               |   0
>   packfile.c => lib/packfile.c                       |   0
>   packfile.h => lib/packfile.h                       |   0
>   pager.c => lib/pager.c                             |   0
>   pager.h => lib/pager.h                             |   0
>   parallel-checkout.c => lib/parallel-checkout.c     |   0
>   parallel-checkout.h => lib/parallel-checkout.h     |   0
>   parse-options-cb.c => lib/parse-options-cb.c       |   0
>   parse-options.c => lib/parse-options.c             |   0
>   parse-options.h => lib/parse-options.h             |   0
>   parse.c => lib/parse.c                             |   0
>   parse.h => lib/parse.h                             |   0
>   patch-delta.c => lib/patch-delta.c                 |   0
>   patch-ids.c => lib/patch-ids.c                     |   0
>   patch-ids.h => lib/patch-ids.h                     |   0
>   path-walk.c => lib/path-walk.c                     |   0
>   path-walk.h => lib/path-walk.h                     |   0
>   path.c => lib/path.c                               |   0
>   path.h => lib/path.h                               |   0
>   pathspec.c => lib/pathspec.c                       |   0
>   pathspec.h => lib/pathspec.h                       |   0
>   pkt-line.c => lib/pkt-line.c                       |   0
>   pkt-line.h => lib/pkt-line.h                       |   0
>   preload-index.c => lib/preload-index.c             |   0
>   preload-index.h => lib/preload-index.h             |   0
>   pretty.c => lib/pretty.c                           |   0
>   pretty.h => lib/pretty.h                           |   0
>   prio-queue.c => lib/prio-queue.c                   |   0
>   prio-queue.h => lib/prio-queue.h                   |   0
>   progress.c => lib/progress.c                       |   0
>   progress.h => lib/progress.h                       |   0
>   promisor-remote.c => lib/promisor-remote.c         |   0
>   promisor-remote.h => lib/promisor-remote.h         |   0
>   prompt.c => lib/prompt.c                           |   0
>   prompt.h => lib/prompt.h                           |   0
>   protocol-caps.c => lib/protocol-caps.c             |   0
>   protocol-caps.h => lib/protocol-caps.h             |   0
>   protocol.c => lib/protocol.c                       |   0
>   protocol.h => lib/protocol.h                       |   0
>   prune-packed.c => lib/prune-packed.c               |   0
>   prune-packed.h => lib/prune-packed.h               |   0
>   pseudo-merge.c => lib/pseudo-merge.c               |   0
>   pseudo-merge.h => lib/pseudo-merge.h               |   0
>   quote.c => lib/quote.c                             |   0
>   quote.h => lib/quote.h                             |   0
>   range-diff.c => lib/range-diff.c                   |   0
>   range-diff.h => lib/range-diff.h                   |   0
>   reachable.c => lib/reachable.c                     |   0
>   reachable.h => lib/reachable.h                     |   0
>   read-cache-ll.h => lib/read-cache-ll.h             |   0
>   read-cache.c => lib/read-cache.c                   |   0
>   read-cache.h => lib/read-cache.h                   |   0
>   rebase-interactive.c => lib/rebase-interactive.c   |   0
>   rebase-interactive.h => lib/rebase-interactive.h   |   0
>   rebase.c => lib/rebase.c                           |   0
>   rebase.h => lib/rebase.h                           |   0
>   ref-filter.c => lib/ref-filter.c                   |   0
>   ref-filter.h => lib/ref-filter.h                   |   0
>   reflog-walk.c => lib/reflog-walk.c                 |   0
>   reflog-walk.h => lib/reflog-walk.h                 |   0
>   reflog.c => lib/reflog.c                           |   0
>   reflog.h => lib/reflog.h                           |   0
>   refs.c => lib/refs.c                               |   0
>   refs.h => lib/refs.h                               |   0
>   {refs => lib/refs}/debug.c                         |   0
>   {refs => lib/refs}/files-backend.c                 |   0
>   {refs => lib/refs}/iterator.c                      |   0
>   {refs => lib/refs}/packed-backend.c                |   0
>   {refs => lib/refs}/packed-backend.h                |   0
>   {refs => lib/refs}/ref-cache.c                     |   0
>   {refs => lib/refs}/ref-cache.h                     |   0
>   {refs => lib/refs}/refs-internal.h                 |   0
>   {refs => lib/refs}/reftable-backend.c              |   0
>   refspec.c => lib/refspec.c                         |   0
>   refspec.h => lib/refspec.h                         |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/LICENSE                 |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/basics.c                |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/basics.h                |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/block.c                 |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/block.h                 |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/blocksource.c           |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/blocksource.h           |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/constants.h             |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/error.c                 |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/fsck.c                  |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/iter.c                  |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/iter.h                  |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/merged.c                |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/merged.h                |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/pq.c                    |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/pq.h                    |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/record.c                |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/record.h                |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/reftable-basics.h       |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/reftable-block.h        |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/reftable-blocksource.h  |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/reftable-constants.h    |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/reftable-error.h        |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/reftable-fsck.h         |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/reftable-iterator.h     |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/reftable-merged.h       |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/reftable-record.h       |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/reftable-stack.h        |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/reftable-system.h       |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/reftable-table.h        |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/reftable-writer.h       |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/stack.c                 |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/stack.h                 |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/system.c                |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/system.h                |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/table.c                 |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/table.h                 |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/tree.c                  |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/tree.h                  |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/writer.c                |   0
>   {reftable => lib/reftable}/writer.h                |   0
>   remote.c => lib/remote.c                           |   0
>   remote.h => lib/remote.h                           |   0
>   repack-cruft.c => lib/repack-cruft.c               |   0
>   repack-filtered.c => lib/repack-filtered.c         |   0
>   repack-geometry.c => lib/repack-geometry.c         |   0
>   repack-midx.c => lib/repack-midx.c                 |   0
>   repack-promisor.c => lib/repack-promisor.c         |   0
>   repack.c => lib/repack.c                           |   0
>   repack.h => lib/repack.h                           |   0
>   replace-object.c => lib/replace-object.c           |   0
>   replace-object.h => lib/replace-object.h           |   0
>   replay.c => lib/replay.c                           |   0
>   replay.h => lib/replay.h                           |   0
>   repo-settings.c => lib/repo-settings.c             |   0
>   repo-settings.h => lib/repo-settings.h             |   0
>   repository.c => lib/repository.c                   |   0
>   repository.h => lib/repository.h                   |   0
>   rerere.c => lib/rerere.c                           |   0
>   rerere.h => lib/rerere.h                           |   0
>   reset.c => lib/reset.c                             |   0
>   reset.h => lib/reset.h                             |   0
>   resolve-undo.c => lib/resolve-undo.c               |   0
>   resolve-undo.h => lib/resolve-undo.h               |   0
>   revision.c => lib/revision.c                       |   0
>   revision.h => lib/revision.h                       |   0
>   run-command.c => lib/run-command.c                 |   0
>   run-command.h => lib/run-command.h                 |   0
>   sane-ctype.h => lib/sane-ctype.h                   |   0
>   send-pack.c => lib/send-pack.c                     |   0
>   send-pack.h => lib/send-pack.h                     |   0
>   sequencer.c => lib/sequencer.c                     |   0
>   sequencer.h => lib/sequencer.h                     |   0
>   serve.c => lib/serve.c                             |   0
>   serve.h => lib/serve.h                             |   0
>   server-info.c => lib/server-info.c                 |   0
>   server-info.h => lib/server-info.h                 |   0
>   setup.c => lib/setup.c                             |   0
>   setup.h => lib/setup.h                             |   0
>   {sha1 => lib/sha1}/openssl.h                       |   0
>   .../sha1collisiondetection                         |   0
>   {sha1dc => lib/sha1dc}/.gitattributes              |   0
>   {sha1dc => lib/sha1dc}/LICENSE.txt                 |   0
>   {sha1dc => lib/sha1dc}/sha1.c                      |   0
>   {sha1dc => lib/sha1dc}/sha1.h                      |   0
>   {sha1dc => lib/sha1dc}/ubc_check.c                 |   0
>   {sha1dc => lib/sha1dc}/ubc_check.h                 |   0
>   sha1dc_git.c => lib/sha1dc_git.c                   |   0
>   sha1dc_git.h => lib/sha1dc_git.h                   |   0
>   {sha256 => lib/sha256}/block/sha256.c              |   0
>   {sha256 => lib/sha256}/block/sha256.h              |   0
>   {sha256 => lib/sha256}/gcrypt.h                    |   0
>   {sha256 => lib/sha256}/nettle.h                    |   0
>   {sha256 => lib/sha256}/openssl.h                   |   0
>   shallow.c => lib/shallow.c                         |   0
>   shallow.h => lib/shallow.h                         |   0
>   shortlog.h => lib/shortlog.h                       |   0
>   sideband.c => lib/sideband.c                       |   0
>   sideband.h => lib/sideband.h                       |   0
>   sigchain.c => lib/sigchain.c                       |   0
>   sigchain.h => lib/sigchain.h                       |   0
>   simple-ipc.h => lib/simple-ipc.h                   |   0
>   sparse-index.c => lib/sparse-index.c               |   0
>   sparse-index.h => lib/sparse-index.h               |   0
>   split-index.c => lib/split-index.c                 |   0
>   split-index.h => lib/split-index.h                 |   0
>   stable-qsort.c => lib/stable-qsort.c               |   0
>   statinfo.c => lib/statinfo.c                       |   0
>   statinfo.h => lib/statinfo.h                       |   0
>   strbuf.c => lib/strbuf.c                           |   0
>   strbuf.h => lib/strbuf.h                           |   0
>   string-list.c => lib/string-list.c                 |   0
>   string-list.h => lib/string-list.h                 |   0
>   strmap.c => lib/strmap.c                           |   0
>   strmap.h => lib/strmap.h                           |   0
>   strvec.c => lib/strvec.c                           |   0
>   strvec.h => lib/strvec.h                           |   0
>   sub-process.c => lib/sub-process.c                 |   0
>   sub-process.h => lib/sub-process.h                 |   0
>   submodule-config.c => lib/submodule-config.c       |   0
>   submodule-config.h => lib/submodule-config.h       |   0
>   submodule.c => lib/submodule.c                     |   0
>   submodule.h => lib/submodule.h                     |   0
>   symlinks.c => lib/symlinks.c                       |   0
>   symlinks.h => lib/symlinks.h                       |   0
>   tag.c => lib/tag.c                                 |   0
>   tag.h => lib/tag.h                                 |   0
>   tar.h => lib/tar.h                                 |   0
>   tempfile.c => lib/tempfile.c                       |   0
>   tempfile.h => lib/tempfile.h                       |   0
>   thread-utils.c => lib/thread-utils.c               |   0
>   thread-utils.h => lib/thread-utils.h               |   0
>   tmp-objdir.c => lib/tmp-objdir.c                   |   0
>   tmp-objdir.h => lib/tmp-objdir.h                   |   0
>   trace.c => lib/trace.c                             |   0
>   trace.h => lib/trace.h                             |   0
>   trace2.c => lib/trace2.c                           |   0
>   trace2.h => lib/trace2.h                           |   0
>   {trace2 => lib/trace2}/tr2_cfg.c                   |   0
>   {trace2 => lib/trace2}/tr2_cfg.h                   |   0
>   {trace2 => lib/trace2}/tr2_cmd_name.c              |   0
>   {trace2 => lib/trace2}/tr2_cmd_name.h              |   0
>   {trace2 => lib/trace2}/tr2_ctr.c                   |   0
>   {trace2 => lib/trace2}/tr2_ctr.h                   |   0
>   {trace2 => lib/trace2}/tr2_dst.c                   |   0
>   {trace2 => lib/trace2}/tr2_dst.h                   |   0
>   {trace2 => lib/trace2}/tr2_sid.c                   |   0
>   {trace2 => lib/trace2}/tr2_sid.h                   |   0
>   {trace2 => lib/trace2}/tr2_sysenv.c                |   0
>   {trace2 => lib/trace2}/tr2_sysenv.h                |   0
>   {trace2 => lib/trace2}/tr2_tbuf.c                  |   0
>   {trace2 => lib/trace2}/tr2_tbuf.h                  |   0
>   {trace2 => lib/trace2}/tr2_tgt.h                   |   0
>   {trace2 => lib/trace2}/tr2_tgt_event.c             |   0
>   {trace2 => lib/trace2}/tr2_tgt_normal.c            |   0
>   {trace2 => lib/trace2}/tr2_tgt_perf.c              |   0
>   {trace2 => lib/trace2}/tr2_tls.c                   |   0
>   {trace2 => lib/trace2}/tr2_tls.h                   |   0
>   {trace2 => lib/trace2}/tr2_tmr.c                   |   0
>   {trace2 => lib/trace2}/tr2_tmr.h                   |   0
>   trailer.c => lib/trailer.c                         |   0
>   trailer.h => lib/trailer.h                         |   0
>   transport-helper.c => lib/transport-helper.c       |   0
>   transport-internal.h => lib/transport-internal.h   |   0
>   transport.c => lib/transport.c                     |   0
>   transport.h => lib/transport.h                     |   0
>   tree-diff.c => lib/tree-diff.c                     |   0
>   tree-walk.c => lib/tree-walk.c                     |   0
>   tree-walk.h => lib/tree-walk.h                     |   0
>   tree.c => lib/tree.c                               |   0
>   tree.h => lib/tree.h                               |   0
>   unicode-width.h => lib/unicode-width.h             |   0
>   unix-socket.c => lib/unix-socket.c                 |   0
>   unix-socket.h => lib/unix-socket.h                 |   0
>   unix-stream-server.c => lib/unix-stream-server.c   |   0
>   unix-stream-server.h => lib/unix-stream-server.h   |   0
>   unpack-trees.c => lib/unpack-trees.c               |   0
>   unpack-trees.h => lib/unpack-trees.h               |   0
>   upload-pack.c => lib/upload-pack.c                 |   0
>   upload-pack.h => lib/upload-pack.h                 |   0
>   url.c => lib/url.c                                 |   0
>   url.h => lib/url.h                                 |   0
>   urlmatch.c => lib/urlmatch.c                       |   0
>   urlmatch.h => lib/urlmatch.h                       |   0
>   usage.c => lib/usage.c                             |   0
>   userdiff.c => lib/userdiff.c                       |   0
>   userdiff.h => lib/userdiff.h                       |   0
>   utf8.c => lib/utf8.c                               |   0
>   utf8.h => lib/utf8.h                               |   0
>   varint.c => lib/varint.c                           |   0
>   varint.h => lib/varint.h                           |   0
>   version-def.h.in => lib/version-def.h.in           |   0
>   version.c => lib/version.c                         |   0
>   version.h => lib/version.h                         |   0
>   versioncmp.c => lib/versioncmp.c                   |   0
>   versioncmp.h => lib/versioncmp.h                   |   0
>   walker.c => lib/walker.c                           |   0
>   walker.h => lib/walker.h                           |   0
>   wildmatch.c => lib/wildmatch.c                     |   0
>   wildmatch.h => lib/wildmatch.h                     |   0
>   worktree.c => lib/worktree.c                       |   0
>   worktree.h => lib/worktree.h                       |   0
>   wrapper.c => lib/wrapper.c                         |   0
>   wrapper.h => lib/wrapper.h                         |   0
>   write-or-die.c => lib/write-or-die.c               |   0
>   write-or-die.h => lib/write-or-die.h               |   0
>   ws.c => lib/ws.c                                   |   0
>   ws.h => lib/ws.h                                   |   0
>   wt-status.c => lib/wt-status.c                     |   0
>   wt-status.h => lib/wt-status.h                     |   0
>   xdiff-interface.c => lib/xdiff-interface.c         |   0
>   xdiff-interface.h => lib/xdiff-interface.h         |   0
>   {xdiff => lib/xdiff}/xdiff.h                       |   0
>   {xdiff => lib/xdiff}/xdiffi.c                      |   0
>   {xdiff => lib/xdiff}/xdiffi.h                      |   0
>   {xdiff => lib/xdiff}/xemit.c                       |   0
>   {xdiff => lib/xdiff}/xemit.h                       |   0
>   {xdiff => lib/xdiff}/xhistogram.c                  |   0
>   {xdiff => lib/xdiff}/xinclude.h                    |   0
>   {xdiff => lib/xdiff}/xmacros.h                     |   0
>   {xdiff => lib/xdiff}/xmerge.c                      |   0
>   {xdiff => lib/xdiff}/xpatience.c                   |   0
>   {xdiff => lib/xdiff}/xprepare.c                    |   0
>   {xdiff => lib/xdiff}/xprepare.h                    |   0
>   {xdiff => lib/xdiff}/xtypes.h                      |   0
>   {xdiff => lib/xdiff}/xutils.c                      |   0
>   {xdiff => lib/xdiff}/xutils.h                      |   0
>   meson.build                                        | 684 +++++++++---------
>   t/helper/test-example-tap.c                        |   2 +-
>   695 files changed, 820 insertions(+), 819 deletions(-)
> 
> 
> ---
> base-commit: 9f223ef1c026d91c7ac68cc0211bde255dda6199
> change-id: 20260415-pks-libgit-in-subdir-d8eec849cd48
> 
>