Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH] gitweb: Add committags support

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 18:35:26 +0200

Jakub Narebski wrote:

> Junio C Hamano wrote:
> 
>> Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>>> The idea of doing committag parsing, and preserving replacements
>>> from matching committag and being subject to HTML escaping by using
>>> reference to string has it's merits.
>>>
>>> I'd have to think about it.
>> 
>> Good.  My obviously buggy illustration would be easier to read
>> with this patch ;-).
> 
> Don't forget about final s,\n,<br/>\n,gm if we parse it as a whole,
> and not line by line. 
> 
> By the way, I think that only the driver (i.e. format_log_line_html) has to
> be changed...

Yet another question is how to deal with commit message specific
"syntax highlighting". Currently, parsing commit message line by line,
we treat specially signoff lines (syntax highlighting, and removing
trailing empty lines after signoff), empty lines (we collapse consecutive
empty lines); the rest goes through format_log_line_html... and committags.

Tag messages have another specific syntax highlighting, namely PGP/GPG
signature part, which should be syntax highlighted I think (and not 
subject to committags replacements).

Some of the problems of marking replacements as not to be committags 
searched and not to be HTML escaped can be dealt with by changing the
order of committags. For example having 'URL' tag as first tag to check
we avoid invoking it on committag replacements links.
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git