Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH] gitweb: Add committags support

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 13:52:59 +0200

Petr Baudis wrote:

> Dear diary, on Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 08:06:44PM CEST, I got a letter
> where Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> said that...
>> So when putting message if into commit message, just put the commit
>> message in separate line, perhaps even with some indentation, like
>> below:
>>   Msg-Id: <[email-masked]>
> 
> Oh please. :-) The tool should bend, not the user.

Still it is more (much more) readable to have Msg-Id "header" (or
equivalent), and message id itself in one line.

> Are you going to mandate that for bug references as well? Or should I
> proofread all of my commits (if they aren't actually just autoformatted
> by fmt without my further review) to verify that they don't actually end
> up wrapped, and manually reformat the whole paragraph?

O.K. that convinces me (although wrapped hyperlink is not a pretty thing).
Besides for tags we have natural multiline "tag", namely PGP signature,
which we wpuld (most probably) want to syntax highlight wrapping it in
<div class="GPG_signature">...</div> element.
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git