Subject: Re: [PATCH] gitweb: tree view: eliminate redundant "blob"

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 20:49:02 +0200

Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Petr Baudis <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Dear diary, on Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 10:54:49AM CEST, I got a letter
>> where Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> said that...
>>> I'd rather not. The fact that the file name and tree name is link,
>>> and the fact that commit title and tag title is link is a _convenience_.
>>> Not always it is visible (without mouseover) that it is link.
>>> And it is _not_ visible in the case of files!
>>
>> Then that should be fixed.
>>
>> And directories should have trailing slash in their name in the tree
>> listing, for people with non-UNIX background who don't understand the
>> ls -l like output.
> 
> I am with you on both counts.  For the latter, people might
> actually like mode string to be changed to pretty pictures,
> though.

And perhaps we could also use yet another decoration for symbolic links.
Perhaps different color? Perhaps 'ls -l' view, i.e. 'link -> target'? 

But if we use different colors for tree entries and blob entries (and
perhaps yet another color for symbolic links), it is impossible to mark all
of them clearly as links. So I'd rather have redundancy, than hidden
functionality (BTW. I hate MS idea of vanishing menu entries based on
usage).
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git