Subject: Re: Commit-ish shortcut for immediate parent range

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 17:11:00 +0200

Andy Parkins wrote:

> Git's commit-ish is very powerful.  I was wondering however, if there was a 
> shortcut for (for example)?
> 
>  git-diff 3435fdb4c^..3435fdb4c

Thats "git-diff 3435fdb4c^ 3435fdb4c" - diff need pair of things
(one or more might be implied/default), not DAG.

> That is - the short range of a particular commit's parent to that commit; like
> 
>  git-diff 3435fdb4c!
> 
> Or similar.

Or similar. You have to use git-diff-tree, not git-diff as git-diff
uses working tree as second tree if second argument is not given 
(and index as first tree if first argument is not given).

$ git diff-tree -p 3435fdb4c

(-p to show patch instead of "whatchanged" output) shows diff to parent
of commit 3435fdb4c (if commit is merge commit, show nothing; use -m
or -c or --cc then).

By the way 3435fdb4c.. means 3435fdb4c..HEAD, and ..3435fdb4c means
HEAD..3435fdb4c (where HEAD means current branch).
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git