Subject: Re: [PATCH] Introduce git-mirror, a tool for exactly mirroring another repository.

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 02:08:08 +0100

Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Sergey Vlasov <[email-masked]> writes:
>  
>> BTW, I was thinking about the possibility to save removed refs under,
>> e.g., refs/old/`date -I`/; maybe even non-fast-forward refs could be
>> saved there - this will ensure that no object will ever disappear from
>> the mirror, no matter what is done on the master side.  Obviously, in
>> this case remote refs like refs/old/* should be filtered.
> 
> I do not think that belongs to git-mirror.  It might be better to
> have that option in update-ref machinery so that you would even
> be protected from a `git branch -d` ran by mistake.

Perhaps just don't remove log when branch is deleted. I tend for example
to be careful when reordering commits on a branch, and use git branch -f
instead of deleting and recreating branch to not lose reflog.
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git