Subject: Re: Cleaning up git user-interface warts

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:59:54 +0100

Andy Parkins wrote:

>  * Don't use the name "origin" twice.  In fact, don't use it at all.  In a 
> distributed system there is no such thing as a true origin.

The remote 'origin' is true origin of the repository: it is repository
we cloned this repository from.

I agree that having branch 'origin', at least in most common multi-branch
(multi-head) repository, is just confusing.

>  * Ensuring we have /all/ upstream branches at a later date is hard, and not 
> automatic.  Here is the .git/remotes/default file that should be possible:
>     URL: git://host/project.git
>     Pull: refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/default/*
>    Now, every git-pull would check for new upstream branch refs and sync them 
> into the local remotes list.  These are read-only so it'd be perfectly safe 
> to delete any locally that no longer exist upstream.

Very nice idea.
 
>  * git-clone should really just be a small wrapper around
>     - git-init-db
>     - create .git/remotes/default
>     - maybe create specific .git/config

I'm not sure about "create .git/remotes/default" part. Isn't git moving from
remotes file to having information about remotes (and branches) in config?

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git