Subject: Re: Cleaning up git user-interface warts

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 19:28:41 +0100

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> But the fact is, git isn't really that hard to work out, and the commands 
> aren't that complicated. There's no reason to rename them. We do have 
> other problems:
> 
>  - default branch selection for merging is broken (it should definitely 
>    take the current branch into account). When I do "git pull" with no 
>    branch specification, and I happen to be on a branch that is associated 
>    with something else than "master" in the remote, I shouldn't merge with 
>    master.

This problem is _slightly_ migitated by branch.<name>.merge config variable.
Slightly because you have to specify branch to merge, instead of forbidding
merge if you are not on specific branch (and you don't override it).

>  - I agree that having to create temporary branches to just look at a tag 
>    that you don't want to actually develop on is just unnecessarily 
>    bothersome.

Agreed.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git