Subject: Re: On Tabs and Spaces

From: Jari Aalto <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 02:38:05 +0300

* Thu 2007-10-18 Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]> gmane.comp.version-control.git
* Message-Id: [email-masked]
> And simply because nearly all (unix) editors still insert a hard tab
> when pressing the tab key, and *mixing* tabs and spaces makes the
> situation *really* unbearable, one really shouldn't use all spaces.

There was no assumption about a particular OS or editors. 

The QA tools will take care of warning or making automatic formatting
before the code is put to SCM. In projects you cannot assume anything
about people, their tools or what OS they might use at hand.

>> There is no such problem with spaces. 
>>
>
> I beg to differ, for reasons stated multiple times elsewhere in this
> thread.

Consider:

- Any editor will display the text written in "all spaces"
  100 % the same. Regradless of any viewer or editor used.

But the same is not true with text that uses tabs (because you
really can't know what options the editor is preset / user set /
regarding the treatment of tabs).

The score is 1 - 0 for "all spaces" in this contest.

-- 
Welcome to FOSS revolution: we fix and modify until it shines