Subject: Re: [RFC] Submodules in GIT

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 23:16:45 +0100

Martin Waitz wrote:

> A submodule really is part of the parent tree, so it is very natural to
> add the link to the submodule commit into the GIT tree data structure.
> In addition to links to blobs and other trees, they can now also hold
> a link to a commit, which in turn has the pointers to the submodule tree
> and its history.  In order to differenciate a submodule entry with
> normal file or directory entries, they get a special file mode.

Erm... isn't a _type_ of tree entry saved somewhere? Currently it can
be only 'tree' or 'blob', what you do is adding 'commit' (then permissions
are permissions of top tree of module, of course).

By the way, in todo branch, in Subpro.txt, there is talk about adding
link to submodule trees in _commit object_... well link to submodule tree
or commit, with the "mount point".
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git