Subject: Re: git-show --stat on first commit

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 19:16:44 +0100

Petr Baudis wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 05:31:30PM CET, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> git didn't end up doing that (and I'm personally pretty happy about it), 
>> but it was one of the things I was kind of thinking about: a "git import" 
>> kind of thing would have created an initial commit which was pre-populated 
>> with the thing to import, and a "git init-db" would have created an 
>> initial root commit that was empty.
>> 
>> That would have made the current "don't show the root diff" behaviour very 
>> natural (and you'd still have gotten the initial diff for a new project), 
>> but on the other hand, it would have had that annoying unnecessary "init" 
>> commit, and you'd _still_ have wanted to have something like "--root" in 
>> order to show the import commit as a patch (which you _sometimes_ want to 
>> do).
> 
> It's being asked by users time by time (first in April last year ;) and
> I'm not sure about any good answer I should tell them, so is the reason
> for not doing the implicit empty commit that it would be "annoying" I
> suppose in the log output?

git repo-config show.difftree --root
git repo-config whatchanged.difftree --root

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git