Subject: Re: "stgit clean" has problems with removed generated files

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 09:20:35 +0100

Yann Dirson wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 04:33:42PM +0000, Catalin Marinas wrote:
>> >fatal: Untracked working tree file 'include/asm-arm/constants.h' would be  
>> >overwritten by merge.
>> 
>> That's a git error and I think it is the correct behaviour. It is
>> safer to notify that a local file is overridden by a merge/switch
>> operation rather than just losing its content.
> 
> Right, I do not discuss the behaviour of git here.  But when I first
> encountered this issue, I was really wondering about what was
> happenning.  It would be really helpful in such a case, if stgit was
> able to pinpoint the precise patch which could not be popped.  It could
> also be helpful to tell when popping patches - currently it's done
> "behind my back", and I could only understand what was happenning by
> reading the code.

I think it was corrected in git, or is being corrected (meaning it is
in 'next' or in 'pu'); it being relaxing "would be overwritten by merge"
check for files which were, but are not, under version control.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git