Subject: Re: can I remove or move a tag in a remote repository?

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 14:46:40 +0100

Johannes Schindelin wrote:

>> Without even considering any other option, I chose to use a lightweight
>> tag for that purpose, since I have a conceptual view that it's a label I
>> can move from one referent to another.  It strikes me as counter-intuitive
>> to use a temporary git "branch" that way.  Would that even work, removing
>> it and recreating it all the time?
> 
> Yes, it would. Remember: a branch in git is just a named ref. It 
> literally used to be a 41-byte file pointing to the tip of the branch in 
> the ancestor graph. And you can update it with git-update-ref.
> 
> So, a branch in git is very much the movable label you are looking for.

And even if cvs-head does not fast-forward, remember that pu branch also
doesn't fast-forward (usually).
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git