Subject: Re: [RFC] git-add update with all-0 object

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 23:41:53 +0100

Nicolas Pitre wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, Daniel Barkalow wrote:
> 
>> One thing that I think is non-intuitive to a lot of users (either novice 
>> or who just don't do it much) is that it matters where in the process you 
>> do "git add <path>" if you're also changing the file. Even if you 
>> understand the index, you may not realize (or may not have internalized 
>> the fact) that what git-add does is update the index with what's there 
>> now.
> 
> And actually I think this is a good thing.  This is what makes the index 
> worth it.  Better find a way to make it obvious to people what's 
> happening.

Still, perhaps (perhaps!) it would be useful to have "intent to add"
git-add.
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git