Subject: Re: [RFC] git-add update with all-0 object

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 09:55:16 +0100

Junio C Hamano wrote:

>         * 'git-diff' [--options] <commit> <commit> -- [<path>...]
> 
>           is to see the changes between two <commit>.
> 
>         Just in case if you are doing something exotic, it
>         should be noted that all of the <commit> in the above
>         descriptoin can be any <tree-ish>.

s/descriptoin/description/
          
It _might_ be worth mentioning that you can compare two arbitrary
files using

   git diff [--options] <blob1 sha> <blob2 sha>

where <blob sha> can be entered as <tree-ish>:<filename>, usually
<commit>:<filename> (<filename> is HEAD:<filename>) to compare blob (file)
from a named tree/from a given commit, or as :<stage>:<filename> (or
just ::<filename> if file is not in merge conflict) to compare blob (file)
from an index.

If I understand correctly there is currently no way to compare files from a
working tree, not to mention files outside working tree
(including /dev/null) with that syntax.
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git