Subject: Re: [PATCH] make 'git add' a first class user friendly interface to the index

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 10:52:33 +0100

Junio C Hamano wrote:

>  - We keep the word "index", and not reword it to "stage" in the
>    names of commands and options.  "to stage" is very good verb
>    to explain the _concept_, but there is no need to use
>    inconsistent wording Porcelain-ish and plumbing use to
>    describe the entity used for staging.
> 
>    (1) New people need to learn the new concept anyway, and they
>        are intelligent enough to learn what that new concept has
>        been called for a long time in git-land at the same time.
> 
>        "The index" is the receiver of new contents to be staged;
>        conversely, "to stage" is the act of registering contents
>        to the index.

I think we should refer to "the index" as "the staging area [for commits]",
at least the first time (it is a bit longish to use it later).
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git