Subject: Re: On removing files and "git-rm is pointless"

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 17:03:07 +0100

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> (And obviously, for all the normal reasons, if the index or HEAD doesn't 
> match, the error message should be helpful and also explicitly mention the 
> "-f" flag. Somehing like
> 
>         file 'x' does not match HEAD or has been staged for changes.
>         Will not remove. Use '-f' to force removal.
> 
> ("has been staged for changes" is just a long way of saying "index". See? 
> I _can_ learn.)

I'd rather have

        File 'x' does not match HEAD or index (has been staged for changes).
        Will not remove. Use "git rm -f 'x'" to force removal.

I'd rather not learn that "staged for changes" mean "index". I'm quote
comfortable with the concept of "index" and the name "index",
thankyouverymuch.
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git