Subject: Re: [RFC] Submodules in GIT

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 12:11:04 +0100

Andreas Ericsson wrote:

> Uwe Kleine-Koenig wrote:
>
>> Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>>> The only problem I'm seeing atm is that the supermodule somehow has to 
>>> mark whatever commits it's using from the submodule inside the submodule 
>>> repo so that they effectively become un-prunable, otherwise the 
>>> supermodule may some day find itself with a history that it can't restore.
>>>
>> One could circumvent that by creating a separate repo for the submodule
>> at checkout time and pull the needed objects in the supermodule's odb
>> when commiting the supermodule.  This way prune in the submodule cannot
>> do any harm, because in it's odb are no objects that are important for
>> the supermodule.
> 
> Yes, but then you'd lose history connectivity (I'm assuming you'd only 
> pull in the tree and blob objects from the submodule, and prefix the 
> tree-entrys with whatever directory you're storing the submodul in).

I thought that Uwe meant pulling (getting) _all_ the needed objects from
submodule object repository into supermodule object repository: commits,
trees and blobs, full history.
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git