Subject: Re: [RFC] Light-weight checkouts via ".gitlink"

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 23:18:12 +0100

A few (very few) comments:

Josef Weidendorfer wrote:

> This can be implemented by enhancing git to ignore any subdirectory which
> has a file .gitlink in it.

If I remember correctly, while git ignores .git, it does not ignore
by default (i.e. without entry in either GIT_DIR/info/excludes, or
.gitignore) the directory which has .git directory in it.

And that should not change for .gitlink. You can always add
.gitignore file with * .* patterns in it (ignore all).
 
> * Gitdir = "<Path to base git repository>"
[...]
> * Name: <explicit name for this checkout>

Why use once "key = value", once "key: value" form? Better to stick
with one. I Would prefer "key = value" one.

GIT_DIR = path to base git repository
it is equivalent to setting the following:

GIT_INDEX_FILE = path to index file
GIT_OBJECT_DIRECTORY = path to object directory
GIT_HEAD_FILE = path to HEAD file
GIT_REFS_DIRECTORY = path to refs directory

NAME = name
should match "name subdirectory" entry in modules file in superproject.

Perhaps instead of adding arbitrary number of .. in front of relative
path, we better use some magic, like ... for finding somewhere up?
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git