Subject: Re: [PATCH] Cleanup git-diff documentation

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 11:03:19 +0100

Brian Gernhardt wrote:

> -This command shows changes between four combinations of states.
> +Show changes between two trees, a tree and the working tree, a
> +tree and the index file, or the index file and the working tree.
> +The combination of what is compared with what is determined by
> +the number of trees given to the command.

You talk here about "number of _trees_" while later you use <commit>,
not <tree> or <tree-ish>. Only at the very end you say that <commit>
(<commit-ish> because you can use tags as well) can be replaced by
any <tree-ish>.

That said, I like this clarification, especially the fact that
I don't have to go to git-diff-tree(1) to find diff options.

> 'git-diff' [--options] [--] [<path>...]::
> @@ -25,11 +28,11 @@ This command shows changes between four  
> combinations of states.
> 'git-diff' [--options] --cached [<commit>] [--] [<path>...]::
>         This form is to view the changes you staged for the next
> -       commit relative to the named <tree-ish>.  Typically you
> +       commit relative to the named <commit>.  Typically you
>         would want comparison with the latest commit, so if you
>         do not give <commit>, it defaults to HEAD.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git