Subject: Re: svn versus git

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 13:56:41 +0100

Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:
> 
>> ps. I'm blind or there is no documentation about what utilities are 
>> needed to get git fully working? (like sed, coreutils, grep, rcs package 
>> (merge tool afaik needed)...).
> 
> Open the file "INSTALL".

Which doesn't mention 'sed' for example. 

I have checked only commands in POSIX shell script; this list does not
include tests in t/ directory, which uses multitude of other tools.

Git has built-in grep since at least v1.4.0, but 'grep' is used in
generate-cmdlist.sh, git-commit.sh, git-instaweb.sh, git-quiltimport.sh and
git-tag.sh. 

'cut' is used only in git-instaweb.sh; other commands do without it.
'sort' is used in check-builtins.sh, generate-cmdlist.sh, git-ls-remote.sh,
git-tag.sh. Both tools are from coreutils package. And git uses other tools
from coreutils too: uniq, printf, tail,...

Git has built-in diff since at least v1.4.0, but diff is used in
git-merge-one-file.sh

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git