Subject: Re: [RFC] Possible optimization for gitweb

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 23:22:25 +0100

[Please Cc: [email-masked]]

Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Robert Fitzsimons <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> The new workflows I'm proposing would be:
>>      get/parse ~100 commit's using rev-list
>>      foreach commit
>>              output commit
> 
> Absolutely.
> 
> And Ok on rev-list part, but perhaps --skip would be more
> appropriate name.

The only problem that you can't use --parents with "history" view, because
together with --full-history it shows also all merges (--full-history
without --parents doesn't show merges which does not affect given file or
directory; the sequence in which --parents and --full-history are taken is
a bit strange to me). So you have to keep current parse_commit (or extend
it), and if I remember correctly you do that. 

I'm also for --skip (not --start-count), although... --start-count with
--max-count seems more natural; one place it can be confusing is that we
count skipped commits or not? I.e. we use --start-count=10 --max-count=20
to get second 10 of commits, or --skip=10 --max-count=10 to get second 10
of commits?
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git