Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] Don't crash during repack of a reflog with pruned commits.

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 02:18:33 +0100

Shawn Pearce wrote:

> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>>> If the user has been using reflog for a long time (e.g. since its
>>> introduction) then it is very likely that an existing branch's
>>> reflog may still mention commits which have long since been pruned
>>> out of the repository.
>> 
>> I've thought about this issue when I did the repack/prune; my
>> take on this was you should prune reflog first then repack.
> 
> OK, but we should suggest that to the user rather than just
> cryptically saying 'fatal: bad object refs/heads/build'.

I still think it is a good idea to allow user (experienced user)
to set to not consider reflog for saving. Especially that there
exist repositories which have reflogs with long pruned commits,
and it would be nice to preserve the reflog info, even if some of
information is not available.
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git