Subject: Re: [RFH] An early draft of v1.5.0 release notes

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 11:12:56 +0100

Junio C Hamano wrote:

> This is still rough, but I think we have a pretty good idea what
> will and what won't be in v1.5.0 by now, and end-of-year is a
> good slow time to summarize what we have done.

Very nice idea! Perhaps those release notes can find it's way into
either v1.5.0 commit, or v1.5.0 tag comment?

Just a few comments:

>  - git-add without any argument does not add everything
>    anymore.  Say "git add ." if you want to.
> 
>  - git-add tries to be more friendly to users by offering an
>    interactive mode.

Perhaps information that git-add can be used to add ignored files
with -f option should be added? Or is it not important enough?
 
>  - The commits referred to by reflog entries are now protected
>    against pruning.  The new command "git reflog expire" can be
>    used to truncate older reflog entries and entries that refer
>    to commits that have been pruned away previously.
> 
>    Existing repositories that have been using reflog may get
>    complaints from fsck-objects; please run "git reflog expire
>    --all" first to remove reflog entries that refer to commits
>    that are no longer in the repository before attempting to
>    repack it.

That's a bit bad, as it forces to lose some info... but that
info was not that useful anyway.
 
>  - A commit object recorded in non UTF-8 encoding records the
>    encoding i18n.commitencoding specified in the originating
>    repository in a new "encoding" header.  This information is
>    used by git-log and friends to reencode the message to UTF-8
>    when displaying.

I don't quite like it. Why if someone uses different encoding
that utf-8 because his terminal is not set to utf-8? Having suddenly
what looks like garbage on output, while input was in local encoding
(and specified in i18n.commitencoding) is a bit suprising...
 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> (shortlog since v1.4.4.3 here)

I'd rather have description a la "what's cooking" here... 

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland
ShadeHawk on #git